Sunday, March 9, 2014

My Name is Mel and I am...a Sugar Addict

Hi! I am Mel and I am...a sugar addict. I know that it sounds silly. You are probably thinking to yourself, “a sugar addict? really? How is that a problem or something to be confessed.” Well, let me tell you. Over the past few months I have tracked what I have eaten and how it has made me feel. I have found that sugar and foods that turn into sugar (white bread, pasta, etc) in the body make me extremely tired. They ZAP my energy. I have also found that it causes anxiety, depression and feeling overwhelmed. Let me tell you why that is. Sugar has been called the new “white” drug. Guide2health.net gave the statistic on their website that the average American consumes 130 pounds of sugar per year. 130 POUNDS!!!!!! That is so much sugar. It averages to about 22 teaspoons of sugar per day. As convenience foods have grown in popularity, so has the amount of sugar Americans are consuming. In 1820’s the average American only consumed 20 pounds per year. Food companies have started adding sugar to all sorts of packaged products. Did you know that jarred spaghetti sauce has sugar in it? Why? Why is it necessary to add so much sugar? (If you would like to see the graphics that go along with the statistics I gave, check out http://www.guide2health.net/2012/10/shocking-statistics-about-sugar-consumption/). So what does this have to do with anything? This is my journey and my challenge. Sugar has power over me and speaks to me, trying to lure me in each and every day. I am on a step by step program to get this out of my system. No, this is not a detox program. It is a lifestyle change. I have to change my ways for myself and my family. God has made me feel convicted about what I eat and how it affects how I take care of my family. This is where my journey begins and my confessions start. Please join me for my Confessions of a Sugar Addict journey; you can follow me as I kick this habit, get healthy, find motivation, and lean on God.

No comments:

Post a Comment