Thursday, September 11, 2014

Mindset is Everything

I was reflecting on the day today and I realized that mind set is everything. It determines if you are healthy or sick, successful or quit, etc. Henry Ford summed it up well, "Whether you think you can or you think can't you are right." How does this pertain to weight loss? I think it is THE factor. If you had met me 5 years ago you would have seen a girl who was insecure, unsure of who she was, overweight and always on some fad diet. When I couldn't stick to that diet, I would give up for awhile gain the weight back plus another 5 pounds and then move on to my next fad diet. It comes down to diets don't work. Sure they take the weight off but it is typically temporary. Once you are done with diet, you go back to your old habit and if you are like me, you binge and overindulge because you are eating foods you haven't eating x number of days, weeks, months. Fast forward to two years ago. I had just had my first baby and I checked out a book called something about beating your sugar addiction. I was more overweight than I had every been, I had just had a baby so there was even more excess weight, I had lost some weight breastfeeding but plateaued at 10 pounds away from my prepregnancy weight (which was still obese mind you) and something clicked. I realized that I had an emotional eating and sugar addiction problem After taking one of the quizzed it clicked to me. I was going to have to change my lifestyle, permanently if I ever wanted to feel better and take care of my family how I wanted to. So I began slowly researching nutrition and found clean eating. There were great concepts and I began making small changes to what I was doing. Finally I lost the last 10 pounds. With a baby though, clean eating was tough and unrealistic for my lifestyle at the moment. I was a first time mom of a 6 month old or so, I was working full time and working on finishing my master's full time. That's when I found several blogs about real foods. This has now been my go to for a year and a half. Once I changed that mindset and started making small changes each week, the weight started coming off quickly. That wasn't the best side effect though. I found how much better I felt. I didn't feel depressed and I had the motivation and energy to take care of what I needed to do. I went on to lose 30 past my pre-baby weight. A total of 60 pounds in all. I didn't even try that hard either and I was not consistently working out. ' It was my mindset that worked. I set small, attainable goals and once I realized how I felt, the motivation was there to keep going. My point is, that do not get into weight loss to lose weight. Start healthy habits to lose weight. Don't do it for the weight loss. Do it to feel and get healthy!!!!! Need some tools to help you on the way? Check out my health and wellness website www.wrapitwithmandm.com I can help get you on the program that fits you best.

No comments:

Post a Comment